TripAdvisor Tells Top 10 Tips for Traveling with Tykes
Award Winning Family-Friendly Hotels Also Highlighted
PRNewswire-FirstCall NEEDHAM, Mass. (NASDAQ:EXPE)
NEEDHAM, Mass., March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel community, today announced its top 10 tips for traveling with kids and the list of this year's Travelers' Choice award-winning best family-friendly hotels.
TripAdvisor's Tried and True Tips for Traveling with Kids
1. If you encounter a meltdown while traveling, be prepared with your
"silver bullet" negotiating tool, such as a new and engaging toy or
2. For air travel, be sure you and your kids wear slip-on shoes and try
to avoid wearing a jacket. It will be easier to get through security,
particularly if you need to hold a young child.
3. Despite the temptation, do NOT over-pack toys, books or other things
to entertain your child. Take only a few of your child's favorite (or
new) toys and books, which should last them the trip. Great travel
toys include water coloring mats with a mess-free water pen, child-
friendly mini-music players branded with your child's favorite
character or pop star, and "fun bags" filled with a variety of small
and inexpensive toys and treats individually wrapped as gifts.
4. If you're traveling by air with a child under two, rent a car seat
from the car rental company instead of lugging your own and risking
baggage handling damage. Make sure the rental company will install the
seat for you, as some will not. Also check the child car seat
regulations in the countries you will be driving in.
5. If you can stretch your budget to ensure a direct, non-stop flight, do
it. It will mitigate meltdowns, and help limit the number of times
you'll hear "are we there yet?"
6. Some airlines offer limited (and often costly) refreshments and
finding a well stocked and open dining car on trains can be a gamble.
Bring your child's favorite snacks on the trip and be sure to bring
enough for the duration of your travels.
7. If flying, get child-friendly airplane earplugs to help prevent ear
pain with changing atmospheric pressure. For the very young,
providing a bottle of milk, juice or water, or a pacifier can also
8. If you are traveling with a child in diapers, choose comfy baby
clothes but skip the layers and choose garments that make changes in
close quarters fast and easy.
9. If you are traveling with teenagers, be sure to let them know what to
expect on the trip and involve them with planning a few elements of
the vacation to ensure they are entertained.
10. Choose accommodations with private kitchen facilities, so you can
prepare some of your own meals -- you'll save a bundle and minimize
the sometimes nightmarish restaurant scenes with little ones.
"It's no revelation that traveling can be stressful and adding children to the equation often intensifies that stress," said Michele Perry, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "The key is preparing in advance and choosing the right hotel, and by keeping some of these tips in mind, traveling with kids can be fun."
TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards Best Family-Friendly Hotels in the U.S.
1. Disney's Pop Century Resort, Orlando, Florida
2. Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Orlando, Florida
3. Candy Cane Inn, Anaheim, California
4. Nickelodeon Family Suites by Holiday Inn, Orlando, Florida
5. Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, Anaheim, California
6. Disney's All-Star Movie Resort, Orlando, Florida
7. Comfort Suites Maingate East, Kissimmee, Florida
8. Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando, Florida
9. Residence Inn Orlando SeaWorld/International Center, Orlando, Florida
10. Embassy Suites Anaheim South/Disneyland Resort, Garden Grove,
About TripAdvisor LLC
Tripadvisor.com™ is the largest travel community in the world, with more than 5 million unbiased reviews and opinions, covering 220,000+ hotels and attractions. With more than 20 million unique monthly visitors worldwide (source: comScore Media Metrix, July 2006), TripAdvisor® features real advice from real travelers and easy access to major online travel sites, including Expedia.com®, Orbitz, Hotels.com®, British Airways and American Airlines, for great deals. TripAdvisor®, which operates sites in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/) and in the U.K. (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/) provides travel suppliers a graphical advertising and cost-per-click marketing platform. Winner of dozens of awards, including PC Magazine's Top 100 Web Sites and Forbes Best of the Web, TripAdvisor® is an operating company of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).
TripAdvisor, Travelers' Choice and Tripadvisor.com are either trademarks or registered trademarks in the U.S. and/or other countries of TripAdvisor LLC. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE: TripAdvisor LLC
CONTACT: Consumer, Brooke Ferencsik, x275, or email@example.com, or Trade-Business, Brian Payea, x388, or firstname.lastname@example.org, both of TripAdvisor, +1-781-444-1113